Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Things You See Sometimes!

I've been at home today, not feeling very well at all.  It's been raining quite heavily this morning, which was wonderful.  I have to admit I did doze off for a bit, but then decided to take a little wander out along the verandah while sipping on a fresh cuppa.


I'm constantly amazed at the sights I get to see here in my little corner of the world.  This particular sight is not all that common, so I was excited.


This is not someone's pet dog that wandered away from its home.  This is Australia's wild dog, Canis lupus dingo.


We just call it 'dingo'.


Over the years I have certainly heard dingo howls echoing down the little valleys here in amongst the foothills.  It doesn't happen every year, but I would say every other year for sure.  I've only ever spotted a dingo here once before and that was way back when we first moved in.


Well today I spotted another.  It looked fairly young, and it was enjoying a lovely little sun bake on a rock just over our yard fence line.  


This wild Australia dog does not bark.  It only howls.


Colours can range from sandy yellow to red ginger.  This is definitely one of the red gingers!  There can also be black, black-tan and even white dingoes.


They're usually most active at dawn or dusk, but this particular dog was enjoying a lovely sun bake in the middle of the day.


I'm not sure how long it had been there, lazing in the sun, but it only stayed around about five minutes once I had walked out onto the verandah.





20 comments:

  1. He is a handsome fella but don't think I wouldn't like to stroke him ! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sue, I wouldn't attempt to pat him either. They're definitely a wild dog and you don't want to get too close to them. There's been some sort of bug going around at work that I seem to have picked up, but hopefully I'll feel better after a restful weekend.

      Delete
  2. Bernie, sorry you're not feeling well, maybe tomorrow will dawn brighter for you.
    I was so excited about your post. I have a very special reason for adoring dingos. My beloved Jana was a quarter pure dingo and her boys an eighth. A better working dog team would be hard to find.
    Thanks so much for this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. Tomorrow is my usual day off work so I'll be doing some more napping and snoozing, I think. I'm so glad my post bought back some lovely memories for you. We had a beautiful old red cattle dog for years and years, and the sight of the red ginger dingo today bought back great memories for me too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Bernie....sorry you are not feeling well. Best wishes for a very speed recovery! Guess the little dingo was on a walkabout and came to visit you. He looks rather thin...so maybe he was looking for a good meal. Glad you got to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Bernie ~ Rest is oh so good when you're not feeling well. I hope you will continue to feel better as each day comes and goes.

    What a treat to see the Dingo. I thought he looked thin too.

    Thanks for sharing ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks very hungry.

    Feel better soon.

    chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nowadays many wild animals starve, that's really sad :( and we have so much food in supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing to see one so close to your home. He does look a bit hungry. Hope you feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I loved the pictures of the dingo. I am on the other side of the world, in NW Pennsylvania. We have coyotes here. If I saw a thin coyote prowling about in broad daylight, the first thought that would enter my mind is that it is rabid. (Rabies is endemic to this part of the country). Never thought about it, but there's no rabies in Oz?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had never seen a dingo before...quite a lovely dog but l bet like wolves and coyotes here you must use extreme caution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you feel better by now, loved the pictures of the dingo, never seen one for real of course. Does it do any damage to your garden? I hope it isn’t like the foxes I have rummaging around in my garden, they are a menace around here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there Bernie,
    I have stumbled upon your page quite accidently when researching pest weeds in NQ. I was happily reading your page and even more happily surprised to realise you live just around the corner. As a novice gardener and a new local, I will most definitely looking to your page for inspiration and tips. Keep up the good work, great for our community ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet another north Queenslander. Thanks for dropping by Melly.

      Delete
  12. So interesting to see him sunning close to your place. We see much the same with our coyotes in the empty field across the road from our house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice blog. I love your pics. I jumped over from BB 's. I'll be back. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope your garden survived Cyclone Ita without too much damage. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing that you spotted this guy and great shots of him. I have only seen a dingo once when I was younger on the way to Thredbo. The Dingo is a true Aussie icon. Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing these images of the Dingo. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once again you have made me jealous of the wildlife you have seen around your garden. I know they are on the lean side but that one looks like it's need of a feed, maybe that's why it's active around the house in daylight.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and will endeavour to reply to all. All comments are moderated, so spam will be fried.

Related Posts with Thumbnails