Friday, April 29, 2011

Flower Flaunt on Friday ... A Pretty Pair.

On this special day when a rather well-known couple are pairing up in old London town, I'd thought I'd share some of the things that go together well in my garden right now ... mid-Autumn and the beginning of our 'dry' season.

This pair I particularly love ... dwarf Angelonia angustifolia and Salvia leucantha 'Santa Barbara'.

The foliage and flower of Episcia cupreata certainly make a lovely combination.
A pair of Jacobinia carnea (syn. Justicia carnea) plumes is such a pretty sight ... 

... as is a pair of Gerbera blooms.
This is a sight that delights me every time I spot it ... the brilliant whites of Begonia semperflorens (Wax Begonia) and Angelonia angustifolia mingled with the green and grey of the Pilea cadieri (Aluminium Plant).
Another great combination ... the orange flowers and the variegated foliage of Crossandra infundibuliformis 'Glamour Puss'

I just love seeing Wrightia antidysenterica 'Arctic Snow' surrounded by the bracts of Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost'.

Simple things like the interplay between shadow and sunlight in a patch of ferns draws my eye.

In one corner of the garden the Hibiscus rosa-sinensis provides a terrific background for the Mussaenda philippica 'Aurore', 

whilst in another corner, the orange of the Crossandra is a match with the orange on the butterfly's wings.

 Then there's a pair of Laughing Kookaburras sitting in an old gum tree ...

... and a pair of black butterfly wings.

Last of all, there's something so wonderful about the mix of purple bracts and the tiny white flowers of Gomphrena globosa or Bachelor Buttons.
 

This seems a fitting ending to this post on the day that one of the world's most famous bachelors marries a lovely girl called Katherine.

I'm joining Tootsie at Tootsie Time for Flaunt Your Flowers / Fertilizer Friday.  It's a great place to visit and find out what's blooming around the globe.

12 comments:

  1. Your pairs are a perfect delight! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kookaburras crack me up!:D Your garden is a pleasure to visit each friday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers on this special day. It was a beautiful ceremony and not at all stuffy even though so over the top!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! Your flowers are lovely and photography is great. I love the picture with the birds; they are so strange looking but pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernie your Jacobinia is so beautiful. What great flowers your are posting today. I love all of the flowers you are showing with the variegated leaves. My eye always go right to them. The butterflyis just gorgeous. I missed the wedding but I am sure I will get caught up on the great bits in the news casting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking at your unique flowers and today birds! Thanks for sharing these wonderful photo's - Paula from Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos of all the flowers. The Kookaburras bring back memories of the song I sang as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty pairings!! Most of these are house plants for us in East Texas (USA), lovely to see them in the outdoors. Thanks for sharing the Laughing Kookaburras sitting in an old gum tree, I have NEVER seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pairs Bernie! I think your gardens are wonderful. I always see something great when I visit...seeing your name in my comments makes me smile too...I always get excited to see what you are saying or sharing!
    thanks for linkng in and visiting me all the time. I do so love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea what a Kookaburra was, until now. They are very cute. Beautiful flowers as usual, Bernie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to smile at the Kookaburra. Very cute. I also love the orange flowers. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the information on flowers seems very impressive and this is something that i liked about it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and will endeavour to reply to all. All comments are moderated, so spam will be fried.

Related Posts with Thumbnails