Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wildlife on Wednesday - the Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo

This was the sight that greeted me when I came home from work one day late last year!  I grabbed the camera and took some shots – then I wondered what they might be thinking during the whole thing.

Maybe this …..













These birds are called the Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita).  It's quite a common bird across the top of Australia and down the eastern coast.

They’re a large white parrot with a dark grey-black bill, a distinctive sulphur-yellow crest and a yellow wash on the underside of the wings. Sexes are similar, although the female can be separated at close range by its red-brown eye (darker brown in the male).

They are a very, very noisy bird, whether they’re resting or in flight.  They will stay in the same area all year round.  We have a large flock of these birds living in the foothills that surround my home, so I get to see and hear these birds every day.

14 comments:

  1. I laughed all the way through that post Bernie, it is such a fabulous sequence of shots and captions :D These guys do have so much personality don't they? I almost jumped of my skin a couple of days ago when one took flight from a tree just behind me, letting out it's ear splitting cry all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful birds! And so exotic, to my American eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see these birds healthy, and in their natural environment. Here we only see them as pets...and yes, they are VERY loud! Love the captions on the photos, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats funny Bernie - and what beauties too. The only birds around here that are really noisy are the gulls - even at midnight you can hear them as they fly over the house. BTW I hope your dad has got his roof sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernie, how WONDERFUL for you to enjoy these sweet birds in the wild, and at your very own home! I've heard they're a bit of a pest in your area, but knowing my own umbrella cockatoo, Lola, I can't imagine being bothered by these fantastic souls! Yes, they are noisy. That is an absolute fact. But sweet, sweet sweet! You're so lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bernie, I hope you don't mind, but I HAD to share this post with my Facebook friends. Too good to keep to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! That is a fun posting Bernie. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your conversing birds! Made me chuckle. How wonderful to have them right on your veranda (although if they're noisy as you say, that might get to me). Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great post! What with cockatoos in your garden and American bloggers writing about humming birds in theirs, the birds that we have flying about our English gardens seem rather dull!

    Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky have such wonderful and colorful wildlife around you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet pair and so witty! I should say you were lucky to come home to such guests!! ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful birds; cute dialog between them! I can't imagine how cool it must be to see these birds right outside your door--creatures we would only see in pet shops (sadly). I'm always surprised and amazed to see what's visiting you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your posts are always so interesting :-) Will they nest in your garden and give you the sounds of tiny claws.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I've only ever seen cockatoos in a pet shop. They're even lovelier free and wild... and witty. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and will endeavour to reply to all. All comments are moderated, so spam will be fried.

Related Posts with Thumbnails